艺术币 146
阅读权限 30
注册 2012-1-4
状态 离线
发表于 2012-1-30 00:05  资料  个人空间  主页 短消息  加为好友 
ugg In 'Pemberley,' James Picks Up Where Austen Left Off NPR

support
provided by: stumble upon reddit linkedin digg
as for whether james will carry on in this vein — death comes to donwell abbey or death at delaford — she's not going to keep her readers in suspense: "i think like most readers of jane austen, i often wonder what happens afterwards because they're so real to us. but no, this will be very much the one-off."
british mystery writer p.d. james is best known for her creation adam dalgliesh — a pensive, private scotland yard detective shaped by his own personal tragedy. dalgliesh populates many of james' stories, but not her latest. in her new book, death comes to pemberley, p.d. james inhabits the world of jane austen — specifically, pride and prejudice.

hardcover, 291 pages | purchase

december 8, 2011
in death comes to pemberley, james dwells on the limited choices for women in the early 19th century. "women were expected to marry, and if they didn't marry, that was regarded as a failure,ugg ムートン," james says. the only job they could hold was that of a governess — "a horrible job because you were neither a servant nor were you the family." (james' favorite austen novel, emma, explores that dreaded occupation.) marriage and money were "tremendously important" to austen, james says.
add to playlist download transcript ulla montan/knopf
more on this book:
british author p.d. james has written more than 20 books. she is a former employee of the british civil service, including the police and criminal law departments. in 2008, she was inducted into the international crime writing hall of fame.
home news arts & life music
"i had this idea at the back of my mind that i'd like to combine my two great enthusiasms," james tells npr's linda wertheimer. "one is for the novels of jane austen and the second is for writing detective fiction."
listen to the story
james,red wing, who is 91, explains how she began her austen sequel: "when i started, i said to my pa, 'we should look on the internet!' ... she does all these clever things which i don't do — and see how many other people had written sequels. and we were amazed, absolutely amazed."
by p. d. james
read an excerpt of death comes to pemberley
mystery writer p.d. james, now 91, has written a suspenseful sequel to jane austen's classic.

there's no shortage of austen-inspired sequels out there: from pride and prejudice and zombies to sense and sensibility and sea monsters. but those sequels didn't inspire james to take up the austen plotline. "i didn't even know they existed," james admits with a laugh.
morning edition

mysteries, thrillers & crime historical fiction fiction
what is this?
'pride and prejudice' meets 'clue' at 'pemberley'
"i don't think she married for money," james explains. "i think she did love darcy and she grew to love him more. but she was not a woman who would allow herself to fall in love with a man who was totally penniless, because she felt she had responsibilities to her family. i think her aunt, her very wise aunt gardiner, said, 'your father expects you to behave sensibly.' and that simply meant to make a satisfactory marriage."
find a station
npr reviews, interviews and more read an excerpt death comes to pemberley

unlike some of the sequels they found, james says she's tried to stay true to austen's characters and writing style. elizabeth, for one, remains a strong, spicy character. at times, she seems to acknowledge that perhaps she had been fairly calculating about her attraction to darcy: "elizabeth knew she was not formed for the sad contrivances of poverty," james writes.
pemberley picks up with elizabeth bennet and mr. darcy settled into darcy's ancestral home. it's been six years since their marriage, and they have two healthy, handsome little boys. at first, life is peaceful and prosperous,ugg roseberry, but as the novel's name suggests,airmax nike, it's not quite happily ever after — "a rather ghastly murder" is discovered in the pemberley woodlands, james says.

support public radio | npr shop | npr social media | login | register
related articles:

http://www.podshow411.net/story.php?id=856465

http://www.vodzone.com/users/23562/5linken13/1.html

顶部
[广告]

当前时区 GMT+8, 现在时间是 2024-5-11 04:57

本论坛支付平台由支付宝提供
携手打造安全诚信的交易社区 Powered by Discuz! 5.5.0  © 2001-2007 Comsenz Inc.
Processed in 0.131846 second(s), 7 queries , Gzip enabled

清除 Cookies - 联系我们 - 21世纪艺术网 - Archiver - WAP